This following will detail my ups, downs and personal triumphs while spending 4months in the Australian Outback. Everything I learn and encounter I am going to try and post here so that I can share with my friends, family and the rest of the world.

These are my experiences so far.....

Tuesday 13 September 2011

Skin Name

Today I met up with my my mum's teaching assistant. She is Indigenous and classes my mum as her sister. Because she classes my mum as her sister that means that her children class me and my brothers as their brothers and sisters. Sharon (the assistant teacher) says my skin name is "Blunjang". Im not totally sure if thats how you spell it but that is how it is said. Different family lines, have different skin names. This also is dependant on what country you are from as well. I was pretty stoked that they call me apart of their family. Its awesome. The only crap part is that a mate of mine killed their pet pig the other day because it mauled his dog. Turns out the pig was a pet of their nephew's. They are devastated. And they know that it was a mate of mine who killed it - thanks to my mother for puting me in the shit for that one, now I am caught in the middle. I am honestly a little entertained by the whole situation. However I did assure her that when I go hunting next I will try and get her a piglet to replace the one that was killed.

I went out into the community tonight to watch a short film made by the student teachers from Melbourne. It was pretty awesome when I rocked up and saw quite a few people that I knew. Getting to know everyone is pretty fun. You can tell they get excited when they see you, or come specifically to your aisle just because they know you. Its a really nice sense of achievement.

The kids here really like my tattoos. They like to touch them and see if they can feel anything on my skin. One kid said today it was "lovely". They come out with some of the cutest sayings. It is days like today that I can see myself staying in the community for a while and helping people. But I know this feeling doesnt hang around long. I wish I could just find a way to not make it so up and down emotionally. Its not even like people are mean to you or anything to make it depressing I think it is just the isolation maybe. But hopefully things will calm down a little.

Still very proud that I got my skin name today. I like to think that I am apart of some one else's family like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment