This following will detail my ups, downs and personal triumphs while spending 4months in the Australian Outback. Everything I learn and encounter I am going to try and post here so that I can share with my friends, family and the rest of the world.

These are my experiences so far.....

Friday 2 September 2011

A New Perspective

Since my last post life here has changed quite interestingly. Mostly for the better. I have made a very close friend over the last two weeks. Last weekend we ventured to Jabiru; which is the closest town to our community. And it has a pub. The main draw card.
The trip was totally last minute, we had no plans and all we knew was that we were going to Jabiru and alot of people from our community would be there. It is approximately a 200km trip of which about 170km of the road is gravel, and not guaranteed to be in great condition. Along the way I got to see my first Water Buffaloes. A pretty exciting moment. I spent most of the trip staring out of the window taking in all the scenery until it got too dark. We crossed the last crossing into Jabiru, it is known to be full of Crocodiles. I got to see a pair of croc-eyes which glinted in our head lights. About 20m away from this was someone fishing - at night. Unbelievable.

We got into Jabbers at about 9.30 at night and went straight to the pub. An interesting little place, a couple of pokie machines, a cement slab out the back where an ABBA cover band were performing, and most importantly - Red Rum. I wasted no time in catching up with my best friend. We definately drank until we got our fill, and then we drank some more. I caught up with quite a few people from Maningrida and we all hung out and drank together. We caught up with people who lived in our community before me but had moved back to civilisation. Some of the most beautiful people I have ever met. I felt like I was leaving my family when we had to leave. Seeing people from our community in Jabbers is like being on school camp. It brings you oddly closer because you have a particular memory of which you all share

The morning came way too quickly, which did not help my hangover at all. We decided to head back towards Maningrida for the festival at Oenpelli. On the way we stopped at the last crossing we had crossed the night before (after I had had my first roadside spew - a little embarassing, a little mile-stone-ish.) as we strolled down the bank of the crossing we noticed hundreds of fish splashing around in the water, visible and very catchable. I then realised that there were 2 crocodiles just cruising by down the stream. The one I could see the best would have been about 2.5m long. Just chilling on the other side of the river. I was ecstatic. This was the one thing that I had desperately wanted to see while being in the Territory, and I cant believe I conquered it so soon. The day which followed was great. We explored Oenpelli - the neighbouring community, and I saw Arnhem Land. The terrain here is pretty unbelievable to me. Its like nothing I have ever seen. There are rocks that have been carved by the weather over thousands of years all throughout Arnhem Land. One in particular has the face of a local man on one side and the face of a monkey on the other. Its huge and approximately 50m tall. No one would have carved that shit. The night continued on to be interesting and epic. Alot more alcohol consumption and meeting and greeting of fellow Maningridans. Some of which I will think will turn into long lasting friends. 

The whole weekend had no plan or schedule. At no stage did we know what we were going to get up to. It was amazing just being free in a place with so many people that I knew, and who of which had the same perspective as me. Everyone was there to live it up and just let free. My trip home was pretty trying. Our driver was not the best. We had to take a young local boy along with us because the road back home was closed for ceremony; which can be for many reasons, including right of passage type ceremonies, or fertility ceremonies. Males do not know what goes on at womens ceremonies and vice-versa. Because the land where the road is, is owned by the Aboriginals (who get paid thousands of dollars in royalties a year for the white man being on their land) they have the right to close the road for up to a month at any time. So anyway, on our last stretch into town our driver nearly rolled our vehicle. I think our Local passanger nearly jumped out of his skin. If the situation had further developed and the had rolled, if the boy had been injured or killed, the driver may have had to pay off the family or may have even been ran out of town.

This week I stayed with a friend which gave me opportunity for alot of new experiences. One night this week we got a hold of a few beers and got a few mates over. The evening ended up in a place called Fred's Bridge approx 20km out of town. In between town and Fred's bridge, we stopped and let off some fireworks. And then went to check some Cherapin pots (freshwater lobster). Its crazy how a slow evening out here can turn into something so exciting. I had the best time and I couldnt wipe the smile off my face. Our night ended with us sitting at this bridge drinking beers and speaking shit. I couldnt have imagined anything better.

The next night I visited a mate who had been hunting the night before. He had a buffalo head on the tray of his ute. Waiting for the skin to rot away so he could mount the scull.


The way of life here is amazing. Its simple but the range of things that you can get up to here is totally exciting. Its relaxed. I have lists of things that i want to achieve before I leave, I am beginning to worry that I wont be able to save a dime and become so enticed by this life style that I will get so wrapped up that I will never leave. But in all at this point I am very happy here. I have never felt so much like myself. And I cant believe how much I smile during the day time. I feel at peace here and I wonder if maybe this is where I am meant to be. I am beginning to become familiar with a few of the locals. I feel a sense of achievement when they remember me, or even speak to me. Even so much as getting a "how are you" is an achievement for me. For looking like such a shit place at first glance, I cannot believe how much I like it. I do accept that there will be down days though. Everyone has them. Cabin Fever does set in. But for now I am just going to enjoy where I am at. I love feeling this happy, it make me want to somehow help the people here, or try and make it better in some way. I have considered doing some volunteer work with the youth centre. But I dont want to get in too deep and ruin all my Europe plans. Either way, this is great for now.

Cheers to finding happiness!

"Happiness is fine, but its momentary...
A momentary lapse of Relality,
Relality is fine, but for the moment it can wait because I'm addicted to the chase of my Happiness"
 - Illy.


No comments:

Post a Comment